Participate in the Drum Major Project
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy provides a model to Atlantans and to citizens of the world of how leadership can strengthen communities through inclusion and by uplifting each other. The Drum Major Project invites individuals and communities engage with each other and participate in planned events to continue fulfilling Dr. King's vision of the "Beloved Community."
Join a community workshop:
In preparation for the procession, a series of collaborative art making workshops are being held. The workshops are forums for diverse communities across Atlanta to come together to express their individual and collective commitment to manifesting Dr. King’s principles of love, peace, kindness, and justice through art.
During these workshops facilitators will lead discussions with participants while making commemorative unity wreaths (which will line the procession route on April 9th) and armbands of hope (to wear during the march).
There are three ways to participate in a workshop:
1. Attend a free public workshop of your choosing. Hover and click to RSVP here
Feb 17th, 11-1pm, Abernathy Arts Center (wreaths)
Feb 24th, 1-4pm, Center for Civic Innovation (wreaths and armbands)
March 14th, 6-9pm, TILA Studios (armbands)
March 24th, 1-4pm, The King Center (armbands)
March 31st, 1-4pm, The King Center (wreaths)
April 3 and 4th 11-2pm, Woodruff Park (wreaths and armbands)
Additional open workshops are being scheduled across the city including at the West End Performing Arts Center, Abernathy Arts Center, Southwest Arts Center, and Aviation Community Arts Center, Center for Civil and Human Rights, Fulton County Public Libraries, and many more places.
2. Schedule one of our facilitators to lead a workshop in your own community.
3. Download a workshop guide and follow the simple steps with your own family, friends or community.
April 9, 2018: March for Humanity from Historic Ebenezer to Morehouse College at 11:30am
Participants are invited to:
- Participate in the funeral procession
- Invite family, friends, and colleagues to walk with you
- Participate in an advance art workshop to make a sign, an armband, or a funeral wreath to carry with you on the procession day.
Yes, I'd like to participate in the Drum Major Project.